[Dixielandjazz] Black and Blue

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 1 18:58:52 PDT 2014

I think it was Ralph Ellison in his novel INVISIBLE MAN who wrote at some length about BLACK AND BLUE ....

and specifically Louis Armstrong singing it...  I don't have a copy of the novel to hand,  it is a very remarkable work, beside some jazz references.  Very musical and very intelligent, Mr. Ellison!

It would be easy, technically, to write a parody or supply an alternative lyric to match the tune, but not without some distortion, and if you know the original lyric it should be possible to deliver an abbreviation of the lyric using the resources of the band. If people can bring in an appropriate level of expression.

This item does not deserve mere routine performance!

Robert R. Calder