[Dixielandjazz] FATE

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 26 15:40:33 PST 2014

I see that

"Cathart"

is not well known outside the jazz fraternity.

Later on I see "Cathgart.."...

Definitely FATE --
Dick Cathcart is the right name, unless you're talking about an operatic tenor called Allen Cathcart
I know Cathcart, my father was born there!

The ACCENT FALLS ON THE SECOND SYLLABLEunless you're North American.

My favourite odd name in jazz was from the late Stan Tracey, who named one of his compositions after an obscure place in England called Honey Hill.   But doubtless veteran members of this list will have heard the blues pianist of that name, male and active in the 1930s.  Never been to Honey Hill, but there was a time when I walked past Rex Stewart House five mornings a week.

The only Ray Sherman I know of was mentioned in recent posts, and how good it was of Arbors jazz to record him solo, Chicago Piano indeed!

Robert R. Calder