[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 14:31:18 PST 2014

As mentioned in my email of the 25th, two friends and I went to hear
Isradixie at the Simta theatre. The hall where jazz concerts are held is
renamde "Jazz Alley" for the occasion ("simta" means "alley").
Wow!  We heard the band some weeks ago in Tel Aviv, but tonight it souded
transformed - one of those times when everything falls in place!  The band
played a very similar repertoire, but managed to sound different.  And
Avram Felder changes the arrangements constantly.  On one number - I cannot
recall which right now, he traded fourth with the tuba - something I do not
remembr hearing before, and somehow it sounded  great.
Even the host (Wednesday is a jazz club night there), who always plays a
number or two with his guests sounded good, as if he had rehearsed with the
band.  On previous occasions, he just kept to his post-bop cliches; tonight
he actually played traditional jazz.
We didn't go to the other show afterwards even though it didn't rain at the
time (it did before) - we didn't think that show could be topped, so we
opted for home.
Cheers