[Dixielandjazz] Cathcart on Welk

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 26 14:25:33 PST 2014

On 27/11/2014 6:36 AM, Charles Suhor wrote:
> One of his featured vocalists, Andra Willis, married Larry Muhoberac. Larry was a boy genius--modernist on piano and trombone, played with Connie Jones as a kid, went with Woody Herman at age 18, etc. etc. I played some jam sessions with him at LSU when I was at Loyola. Cripes, what gifts!  Anecdote: At a gig with a N.O. dance band, someone requested a song that wasn't in the book. During intermission Larry dashed off parts for the whole band, without a score. I was jealous of Larry, not because I was ridiculously out of his league as a musician but because he was adored by the girl is was mad about, pianist/vocalist Theresa Kelly. Larry continued to move in many circles and, I learned only in recent years, became Elvis' pianist for a while under an assumed name. Life's surprises and ironies, they just keep coming.

Pianist Larry Muhoberac turned up in my discography of Australian jazz
from 1990 to 1995, recording in Sydney with the cream of local musicians
- Bob Barnard, James Morrison and heaps of others unknown to most
members of this group. I wondered where he came from, now I know. I have
no idea of his present whereabouts.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell