[Dixielandjazz] Brad Terry's Kickstarter project

Tony Davis tony at tony-davis.co.uk
Thu May 29 04:55:00 PDT 2014

I was all set to support this project; selected an amount and logged in
to Kickstarter - then I found that I had to checkout using Amazon.
Although I have an Amazon account, I don't use it - haven't used it for
about 18 months now, and won't use it until they a) start paying an
amount of UK tax in due proportion to their profits and b) improve their
treatment of employees.

I don't expect people in the US to get worked up about avoidance of tax
in the UK, but with regard to the second point the International Trade
Union Confederation last week said that Amazon’s business model “is
unsustainable and is based on treating its workforce - permanent,
part-time and temporary - as inhuman robots".

I do hope that Brad gets the funding he needs, but I shan't be
contributing to it unless he can provide another method of payment. I'm
really sorry.

Tony Davis