[Dixielandjazz] Strathclyde Stompers

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun May 18 14:13:35 PDT 2014

Hi Marek,

A lot of very fine musicians played for George Penman over the years. In the 1960s his front line included the fiery Lennie Herd on trumpet and the versatile George Kidd on trombone (his influences were Teagearden and Ory - Teagarden in his solos and Ory for ensemble tailgate). Both are in their 70s now and still playing wonderfully well. In the 1980s, Penman had Gordon Dillon on trumpet (Billy Butterfield was his big inspiration), Dick Stroak (a wonderfully versatile clarinettist/saxist influenced by Omer Simeon, Artie Shaw and Johnny Hodges) with either George Kidd or Jackie Murray on trombone and vocals (Jackie is an excellent mainstream trombonist and one of the finest singers around: great blues shouter styled on Spoon and Joe Williams and a wonderful ballad singer along the lines of Tony Bennett but jazzier). Jackie is still around and playing, but sadly both Gordon and Dick were taken from us much too early.

I agree that Jim Petrie is a wonderful trumpeter (although I think he was playing cornet last time I worked with him). He's still around, as is Bev, but the jazz scene in Edinburgh has shrunk alarmingly of late so I'm not sure the Diplomats are working much. They are on the bill for the Edinburgh Jazz Festival, which has just launched its 2014 programme: see http://www.edinburghjazzfestival.com/programme/artists/diplomats-of-jazz.html

It doesn't surprise me that an English correspondent had never heard of Jim. When you read jazz publications from London, you'd be excused for thinking nothing happens north of Watford and there's an assumption that, unless you play on the London scene, you probably can't play at all. That's just plain ignorant as there are excellent players all over the UK. Scotland has a critical mass of outstanding players just now; the tragedy is that there isn't a critical mass of available gigs paying decent money.

Cheers,

Ken