[Dixielandjazz] Strathclyde Stompers

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun May 18 13:34:25 PDT 2014

I heard Gerorge Penman in Glasgow, and, I blieve, at the  Edinburgh
festival.  An excellent band, wasn't it?  We drove there from Edinburgh,
and we were told to come early if we wanted good seats, because whenever
Penman played the place was SRO.  I ended up standing - there was too much
noisy conversation at our table.

In Glasgow Jim Petrie substituted for the regular trumpeter - an advantage,
as far as I was concerned, because Jim, although hardly well known, had
been a favourite of mine for a long time (or should I have said 'has
been?").  An English correspondent once asked me who was my favourite
British trumpet/cornet player.  I replied Jim Petrie, but he had never
heard of him.  After hearing him for the first time at the festival
volunteer party (my friend volunteered), the first thing I'd do when in
Edinburgh was to enquire about the Diplomats of Jazz.  In those
pre-internet days I usually phoned Beverly Knight (if I remember properly),
their lady banjo player.
Cheers