[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu May 8 05:23:04 PDT 2014

I got that from people who made silly assumptions about the Edinburgh jazz festival, long ago, when that great forerunner of Bunk Johnson was around, HarrySweets Edison.  And Buddy Tate.

Please do not assume that I am reporting informed opinion.

I do recall another young man, much enthused about Peter King (and Red Rodney) thinking he could dismiss George Chisholm also as "trad", the very word he (mis)used.  And then there was all that flak deserved by a Caribbean musician whose name escapes me at the moment,  aahh -- it was Courtney Pine, who went on about how he was the new thing and previously there had only been people in duffel coats...

But didn't Joe Harriott have a duffel coat?
It ought to be appreciated how far generation gap distortions damage things.
And it's that sort of rubbish younger musical persons might have to contend with.

Robert