[Dixielandjazz] Rhythm Section Prague

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 21 17:31:40 PDT 2014

Neither the late 1980s nor the middle 1990s, but the late 1990s.  When a retailer of sheer nostalgia offered to change money in the middle of Wenceslas Square -- and the taxis had the business cards of bordellos on their dashboards -- though anyone so ill-advised as to board one of the taxis would be glad there was free music in the streets.  There was certainly another band delivering competent music of the same genre near the bridge one time I couldn't stop to admire.  I do recall meeting one of the most eminent of current Scottish historians one day some years ago, he lives near me, and saying he was bound for Prague; and that perhaps the main attraction of the place for him were such jazz bands as we have been mentioning and he had heard word of. Obviously a man of considerable musical culture!

 I would like a few more days there myself.

Robert