[Dixielandjazz] Rhythm Section Prague

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 21 14:27:25 PDT 2014

The Starometski band had a drummer in the photo.
The band I remember long ago in Prague had only the man with the banjo for percussion.

Pretty well toneless, even harsh-sounding, but with a remarkable kick

He was really functioning as a sort of drummer -- with flourishes for cymbal work,

and mostly bass undertones in his sound.

The main man in the band was the Czech Ernie Caceres, I don't know about his reputation, I listened to him soloing at decent length, lovely driving baritone saxophonist.

This was half way across the Charles Bridge, and amazingly enough by the time I was back in the square photographed I had a sheaf of fliers for all manner of concerts, not jazz but a startling indication of how much public music-making there was on just another ordinary day.

all the very best,
Robert