[Dixielandjazz] Introducing myself

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 17:56:31 PDT 2014

Jim,

Welcome aboard.
I look forward to playing with you.

Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist

------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:14:50 -0700
From: "Jim Gammon"<jgammon1 at sbcglobal.net>
To:<dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Introducing myself

At the risk of posting this twice, here?s a little about myself.  Jim
Thanks to Bob Ringwald, I found out about this list a couple weeks ago and
have been reading posts since then.  I have played in a number of bands in
the San Francisco bay area since 1983.  Have been playing since I was eight
years old.    Haven't traveled much or made the
festival circuit in a big way but made it to Sacramento for several of their
festivals, have played numerous others around California and a number of
TJSO gigs in Oregon.  Other than Dixieland, I've done some short TV and
movie music cues for a friend of mine who is in the music scene in L.A.  I
have played in bands probably few of you have ever herd of:  The Jubilee
jazz band, Dick Oxtot's Golden Age jazz band, Old Navy Splash Landing jazz
band, the Spirit of 29, Hot Chamber Music Society, Polly's Hot Paupers,
Hothouse swing band, Cork's Crew, Eddie Condom and the Safe Sextet, and Mal
Sharpe Big Money in Jazz.  I am sure there are more that I am overlooking.
I am retired from my day job formerly at UC  Berkeley and try to devote a
good deal of time daily to practicing.  I am well aware of the importance of
keeping up my chops when I have to play one or more three hour gig per week.
So, no, I do not play gigs nightly and have never had to depend on music for
paying the bills, but I do take it seriously and really love it.
Guess I will quit tooting my own horn at this point.  Hobbies are reading,
ham radio, and messing with computers among other things.
Great to be part of this list and I hope to learn a lot and maybe even meet
some of you who may be in the SF bay area.
Jim Gammon