[Dixielandjazz] The Dukes

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Mar 20 11:35:48 PDT 2014

Jerry Brown wrote:
>Even the Dukes of Dixieland on the Natchez who must be the most bored
looking band I have ever seen but I suppose playing the same routine night
after night would bore even the best musicians and they certainly did not
sound like the best!

I have reported here before that I heard the "original" Dukes of Dixieland
playing in a Las Vegas lounge in the early 1960's.  The room was completely
empty except the two of us, and they played like it was a full house.

That's the great thing about Dixieland, it doesn't have to be the same
routine every night if you make an attempt at changing things during solos,
backing other guys, and even in the ensembles.
You can even change tempos (a really slow, bluesy feeling "JaDa"?), change
keys, change the order of solos, etc.

I refuse to give a working band that excuse that "oh, well, what do you
expect?"

Jim