[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Basie white men

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Sat Mar 15 13:51:22 PDT 2014

Just glancing at the list after being about 20,000 messages behind.  Glad to
see Nat Pierce mentioned in the context of Basie.  Bill Berry played trumpet
with Basie for a while. An excellent "white" player who played WITH Basie.
Nat of course did copious amounts of arranging and playing with Woody Herman
for many years. He and his wife, Kathy Sweeney (a singer) were close friends
for many years. Nat loved Basie but frequently claimed that his Basie-like
style was as much of his creation as it was of respectful imitation of the
Count.
For the old gang:  I'm still alive and well in Palm Springs where I've been
hosting a weekly jam session for more than 20 years. Wish I had time to join
the fray but at 74 am working more as a musician and writer than ever. If
I'd worked this hard when I was younger, I would have wealthier than Bill
Gates.
Anyone remember Melodious Thunk?  Those were the days!  If you'd like to say
"hello" please send emails directly to me at rbroadie at dc.rr.com.  I don't
know when I'll next peed at the list.  Hope it's soon. I sure miss our
annual reunions at Sweet & Hot festivals in LA.

Dick Broadie