[Dixielandjazz] Doom-sayer

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 10:24:58 PDT 2014

Yours seems to be the right attitude, and it seems to work.  All the young
bands, in addition to - or even before - playing in bars, busk.  Swing de
Gitanes doesn't, but my friends first heard The New Orleans Funcion on the
street.  Kids liked the band and followed it.  There is another Israeli
band, the Sidewalk Bunch, which only busks, unfortunately - not very
often.  I have only seen its clips, because early Friday afternoon is very
inconvenient for me (the grandchildren's time).  I remember someone writing
to the list that even Ed Polcer does, and it's good money for his band,
plus exposure which brings customers.
At the Breda Jazz Festival, where most music is outdoors (perhaps was - I
have not been there since 2005), I saw three or even four generations
enjoying music together.  I'm not saying that the youngsters will become
devoted traditional jazz fans, but they will probably attend traditional
shows and concerts when they are older.
Cheers