[Dixielandjazz] Doom-sayer

Roy Taylor budtuba at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 09:01:38 PDT 2014

I have been listening to another ideom of past music on the public radio
Saturday mornings. This a show called Folk Alley.  The performances have
been recently recorded at festivals thoughout America and feature some
really talented young people.  I also noticed one other main thing:  most
of the music is NOT the traditional folk music we grew up with and
resurrected by the likes of Bob Dillon, Arlo Guthrie, the Weavers, and the
Kingston Trio (to name a few), but they write their own music and none of
it is familiar to me.  It is beautiful, but I miss the old folk songs.

Dixieland has not had the same resurgence of style with new music being
written and to some degree is hampered by the copyright laws being enforced
by ASCAP.  The 75 year conversion to public domain stalled out (as I
understand it) with tunes written before 1923.  Consequently, there is a
least one additional expense to be paid on public gigs that gain any
significant publicity to draw a crowd.  Yet this is the music that pleases
us and our followers for it reminds us the fun days now past.  New
musicians capable of learning dixieland are no longer being exposed to the
old songs unless the remaining veteran musicians recruit them and teach the
style.  There is a handful of excellent musicians who reach the airways and
stages, but not the groundswell that I experienced as a youth in the 1960s
and 70s.

I would not say a new resurgence is impossible for the early recordings are
available in much higher sound fidelity that we learned from, and music
schools like the Eastman School teach the underlying music theory and do
pay homage to The Great American Songbook. However, music students must be
multi-disciplined in a large range of ideoms to make a career successful
enough to pay for their training and may just not land a gig that leads
them to totally embrace Dixieland.

--
Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band