[Dixielandjazz] Star Dust

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Sun Mar 2 19:01:48 PST 2014

Back in the 1970s, I saw a list that showed "Stardust" as the number 1 most
recorded tune. The top ten included "Body and Soul," "St. Louis Blues," and
"Stormy Weather."  Some years later, I read that the McCartney-Lennon tune
"Yesterday" surpassed "Stardust" in the number of recording made...not sold,
but made. Virtually everybody has recorded "Yesterday" since 1970.

At an antique recorded shop I worked at in the 1970s in Boonton, NJ, they
bought a collection of 1274 recordings of "Stardust" on 78rpm disks. It was
an incredible collection!

John Lennon was a customer of the shop. He bought 78s for a 1940s jukebox he
had, and I found him to be very knowlegeable on styles and who did what from
the swing era. As a example, he wanted Basie's "One O'Clock Jump." I told
him that Harry James had the best-selling version of it, but he remarked,
"Yeah, but Basie had a better rhythm sectiom." He was right, of course.

But I'm pretty sure, "Yesterday" has been recorded more times now, than
"Stardust." But that doesn't take anything away from "Stardust."

J. D. Bryce