[Dixielandjazz] Is "'Round Midnight" really the most recorded song ever?

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Sat Mar 1 18:37:12 PST 2014

To:  DJML,  Musicians and Jazzfans list

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

This came across my screen.  Lovely rendition of "Round Midnight  by Modern
Jazz Quartet.  I was intrigued to read the statement that "this is the most
often recorded ever."

Does anyone have data to corroborate this statement?

Thanks.

Norman

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/videos/john-lewis/round-midnight-6.html

Home <http://www.jazzonthetube.com/>  | About Us
<http://www.jazzonthetube.com/about.html>  | Contact
<http://www.jazzonthetube.com/contact.html>  | Subscribe
<http://www.jazzonthetube.com/subscribe.html>  | Donate
<http://www.jazzonthetube.com/donate.html>

Jazz on the Tube

The Internet's jazz video search engine

'Round Midnight

Modern Jazz Quartet

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/images/smallarrow.png

 <https://www.facebook.com/jazzonthetube>
http://www.jazzonthetube.com/images/fuofb.jpg

Subscribe to Jazz on the Tube

Navigation:

Home <http://www.jazzonthetube.com/>

Back <javascript:history.go(-1)>

More videos like this <http://www.jazzonthetube.com/videos/john-lewis>

The most often
recorded standard ever

This is during the more sporadic, late touring of the Modern Jazz Quartet in
the '90s - a group notable for their restrained, elegant playing. Though
they were initially an offshoot project of Gillespie collaborators.

Written by Thelonious Monk in 1944, "'Round Midnight" has become quite the
standard. Of all the standards composed by jazz musicians, this is the most
often recorded ever. Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis' take on the song led
to some interesting intercreative commentary - with Miles basing his version
on Gillespie's (and titled it "'Round About Midnight.")

Personnel:

John Lewis, piano
Milt Jackson, vibraphone
Ray Brown, bass