[Dixielandjazz] FW: PD

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 29 10:00:30 PDT 2014

Hi Jim,
i am trying to recall an article i read lately about copyright and hence
royalties.  From the article the BBC was  (is?) punctilious. If an errand
boy in a scene whistled a popular tune this was picked up a royalties paid.

Apparently Google which owns Youtube employs a company to trawl through the
stuff (110 hours of broadcast material  uploaded every MINUTE) and ,at least
in theory do something about stuff in/out of copyright. There is some
disquiet because Google is apparently planning to buy the company and the
feeling is that the checking for copyright etc may quietly fade away.

If I have this wrong don`t shoot the messenger. Someone may be able to
correct it.

Pat