[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 01:18:03 PDT 2014

Hi,
Not only that I took no pictures in Breda, I wouldn't know how to send one
other than as an attachment which defiitely would not have penetrated DJML
filters!
But John's story reminded me of the 1991 New Orleans Jazz Festival in
Geleen, the Netherlands: among other events, there was a brass band
competition, eventually won by the Zulu Brass Band.
Later, while an excellent German band was playing in one of the venues,
suddenly the winning band marched in, playing a marching tune.  you should
have seen the surprise of the German trumpeter's face as that happened!
Despite amplification, the band on stage stood no chance against a powerful
marching band.  The German trumpeter (and the band leader) reacted quickly,
applying the "if you can't beat them, join them" method, and within seconds
joined the marching band.  his band followed suit, and we had two good
bands playing the same number. one in the middle of the big tent, the other
- on the stage.  Quite an experience!
When I said to one of the organizers that having the brass band march in
was an intersting move, he replied that it was fully spontaneous.
It was agood festival, but has unfortunately been discontinued.
Cheers