[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 06:33:35 PDT 2014

Last night, a friend and I went to hear the New Orleans Function at the
Tel-Aviv bar Rothschild 12, located, very surprisingly, at 12 Rothschild
Boulevard (in Hebrew, that's the way addresses are given - streen name and
then the number, so the name makes the address clear). The band hardly
plays anymore, probably becauseit is too big to sustain; the last time I
know of was when it accompanied Katherine Russell in the previous HOt Jazz
series.
I am happy to report that the band still swings like mad, plays good
arrangements and makes even warhorses sound quite interesting.  Some mebers
descended from the dry climes of Jerusalem to the hot and sweaty coastal
plain to play for us.  While I missed the piano (they have always been a
pianoless band), I enjoyed the show immensely.  It is lovely to hear a band
that sounds well rehearsed, playing interesting ensemble passages in
addition to good solos.
As to the venue, it required the band to come early for the balance.  It
was a pain in a very sensitive place for the musicians (they had to be
there at 8PM in order to start at 11; finally, they started around 11:30),
but was good for the listeners - the sound was very good, and not deafening
even right next to the bandstand.  The pre-show music was another story -
so loud taht it drove us out only to come back when the musicians were
called on stage.  On the whole - a lovely evening.
We had Malka (a domestic microbrewery) 12 blond ale - my taste buds said
that it was the regular blondale with the bar's brand name on the label  -
highly recommended shoudl you happen to visit this country.

Despite the rockets, finding parking in the area wasn't easy - at night it
becomes an entertainment area and most places seemed full.
Cheers