[Dixielandjazz] Kathy Stobart R.I.P.

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 16:41:20 PDT 2014

Hi Marek,

Were you at Nice the year when a British All-Stars band was featured? Kath was in that as was another much missed player, trumpeter John McLevy. From memory I think Roy Williams was also on the band, but at this remove I can't remember who else was involved. Does anyone have any info on the personnel.

I know the great jazz accordionist Jack Emblow was there in a non-playing capacity. He claimed that he was John McLevy's valet and was employed to whisper hot phrases in John's ear when he was brushing John's jacket prior to him going on stage. John and Jack shared a room which had eccentric French plumbing and they discovered that when they fiddled with the taps on the bidet in their bathroom, they played a perfect bagpipe drone. By opening and shutting the taps they could also replicate little glissandi, so they invited the rest of the band to a concert of "authentic" Scottish music in their room. After a few drinks for all, Jack retired to the bathroom and donned a bath towel as a makeshift kilt, then sat on the bidet with his back to the door. John had a mute in his trumpet and once Jack got the drone going, John threw open the door to the bathroom revealing Jack in the "kilt" "playing the bidet". Meanwhile John, whose early background had involved playing for Scottish Country Dancing, struck up some jaunty traditional airs like The Black Bear. The show brought the house down and was being talked about for years by the UK jazz community.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson