[Dixielandjazz] Kathy Stobart R.I.P.

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:20:35 PDT 2014

Ken's email reminded me: I heard Kathy Stobart in Nice with a big band
directed by Dick Hyman and recreating Ellington music.  She fit in very
well.  The band had charts, of course, but it consisted of soloists invited
to participate in the festival, so it was hardly well rehearsed, although
it must have had more than the public rehearsals I attended.

On 15 July 2014 22:55, Ken Mathieson <ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
>   but she was also a musical chameleon who could fit in with a Dixieland
> ensemble just as well as with a bop band playing very complex music or in a
> big band sax section.

> My impression of her playing style was that she was essentially a
> mainstreamer who had spent many years playing bop, so her playing was
> informed by the bop vocabulary without ever losing her hard-swinging
> rhythmic feel.

I concur.
Cheers