[Dixielandjazz] "Black Man Blues"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 14 14:00:17 PDT 2014

> ...I've just updated Edmonia Henderson's "Black Man Blues", and I was surprised to find that the first recording of this blues (March 16, 1923) was made in England by the "Original Capitol Orchestra" at the English branch of the Zonophone record Company.
> My question is: Does this recording still exist, and has it ever been issued?
> No vocalist is registered, but the leader was pianist I.V. "Bud" Sheppard.
> One of the saxophonists was George Byron Webb. Could our famous bandleader be related?

Dear Bob,
Aha. Something to get my teeth into at last.
Sadly, no test pressing exists of the Original Capitol Orch record, or it would surely have surfaced by now.
And there is nothing in George Webb's biography that indicates any relationship to "Bud" Sheppard.

So far as recordings  of "Black man Blues" are concerned they were as follows:
•The Original Capitol Orchestra 	London
(unknown) 				Hayes	16 March 1923 	Zonophone unissued

•Edmonia Henderson
(Lovie Austin)				Chicago 	December 1923	Paramount 12084

•Lillian Glinn
(Andy Razaf & JC Johnson)		Atlanta	10 April 1929 		Columbia 14433

•Coletha Simpson
(James, Simpson & Williams)	Chicago	15 April 1929 		Brunswick 7112

So there appears to be no connection between the OCO and Edmonia Henderson renditions, other than the title.
All have different composers (as indicated) and unrelated recording dates.
I have  the girls' recordings, listened to them again, and can report that the tune and lyrics differ for each.
Very kind regards to your Arctic sunshine coast from a mild sunny Winter in Sydney, Australia.
Cheers,
Bill.