[Dixielandjazz] "Black Man Blues"

ROBERT JOHN SMITH robertjs at broadpark.no
Sun Jul 13 09:07:34 PDT 2014

As we're having a heatwave here in Norway just below the Arctic Circle, I've escaped into the cooler cellar, where I'm carrying out some much-needed updating of my jazz Archives. I've just updated Edmonia Henderson's "Black Man Blues", and I was surprised to find that the first recording of this blues (March 16, 1923) was made in England by the "Original Capitol Orchestra" at the English branch of the Zonophone record Company. This recording (Matrix Yy-2712-2) and its backing were never issued.

My question is: Does this recording still exist, and has it ever been issued?

No vocalist is registered, but the leader was pianist I.V. "Bud" Sheppard.

One of the saxophonists was George Byron Webb. Could our famous bandleader be related?

Cheers

Bob Smith