[Dixielandjazz] DJML posting and trad jazz camp experience

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Wed Jul 9 00:01:21 PDT 2014

Dear Bob and all on this list

I am sorry that I took up time on this list for a local setting problem.
Anyhow, for some reasons DJML had been set to reject on my junk mail
facility in Outlook. Since I switched to a new fiber connection, from a DSL
service, last month I have had a number of reset issues that I spend a lot
of time to correct. It seems that the fiber server although from the same
ISP is functioning differently. For instance the free F-secure subscription
by the ISP had to be reinstalled to just mention one in a row. Anyhow I have
now enabled DJML in the filter list and everything seems to work fine. What
I cannot figure out is why my WEB function of the IMAP post server did not
work. It should not have anything to do with my local PC setting.

90 F clear sky today, 92 F in the pool. Swedish summer when it is as best.

I just came back from one week of intensive trad jazz ensemble playing
training. Extremely useful experience although courses like this always pay
more attention to the wind instruments than the percussion part of the band.
The teachers do not know much about banjo playing but more about wind
instruments. We were two trad jazz groups. And a lot blues guitar and jazz
and pop singing groups. About 100 persons attended in different groups.

Our group had three concerts in the evenings with a total of twelve tunes
played. We had about five hour of training lessons every day. I also had a
one hour long speech with video and pictures about the history of the banjo,
which is the same as the history of the modern American music. During an
attendants vaudeville performance one evening I performed three minstrel
songs on gourd and minstrel banjos with emphasize on Stephen Foster tunes.
Tunes played and sung by me were Rastabout with an 1840 replica of a Banza
gourd banjo, Camptown races and O Suzanna on my 1860 minstrel banjo. That
was music they never had heard much of before. Yes, most people know O
Suzanna and could join in. I also learned that they know nothing about the
1900 century modern music history. Isn't it pity that people especially the
teachers do not know anything about the modern music history prior to around
1900 when blues and jazz were born? Anyhow now they know more about it,
especially the minstrel part of it. It was highly appreciated by many
attendants.

Back to the morning paper at the pool side. And a double Expresso.

Ulf