[Dixielandjazz] DJML Facebook Page

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 12:34:57 PST 2014

Sarcasm and riducule are often the weapon of people lacking better
weapons.  which seems to be the case on hand.

> But you will probably not convince members of the 78 rpm scratch, click and
> hiss noise fan club. As an example of what new technology can do. I have
> about 15.000 OKOM recordings from 1917-1935 with mostly better quality in
> my
> smart phone.

Don't confuse 'quality" with "clean."  CDs are cleaner than LPs.   But I
still have to hear a CD which projects that 'like a girl saying yes"
sound.  Unfortunately, I have not heard Bix on 78s.  But someone on the
(sadly defunct) Mississippi Rag Bulletin Board claimed that the LPs didn't
even get close to the old shellac.  Which makes sense - those were
direct-to-disk recordings.  And I have yet to hear mp3 which gets even
close to the CD sound, never mind vinyl!

But that will not convince them either. I do not need a crank
> up Vitrola disc player in my backseat of my car or in my summer vacation
> resort house.

A classic - and ridiculous - example of ridicule.  When I was still very
young, there were hardly any  LPs in Poland, and I listened to  78s, with a
metal needle.  But I only saw and heard an old time crank-up gramophone
once.  I lived in a city elecrtified still in the 19th century, and, as a
result, had DC rather than AC, which rendered the use of modern appliances
impossible.  But our record player was electrical.

> I carry all recordings with me in my pocket. Handy? Of course
> it is extremely handy and versatile if you really are interested in
> listening to and search for music on the spot.

Handy?  Sure.  But how can you compare that to a good system?

> Not to talk about all old
> recordings and bands I recently have discovered by this new technology. I
> did not had a clue about them before in spite of the fact that I have
> listen
> to OKOM music since around 1950.

Probably not all the stuff is on LP or CD, but most is.  Even though I
moved to Israel when jazz records were hardly common, I have somehow
managed to have most of the 20's Jazz stuff on records (or CDs).  And yes,
there is new stuff from time to time; if I really like it, I start looking
for commercially available recordings.  I still listen on line from time to
time, but not as often as I used to - it comes at teh expense of listening
to records.

> How about electric pianos, very common for practical reasons, as many
> concert facilities today lack an old fashion piano. Shall we abound OKOM
> electric piano playing for sentimental or fear of new technology reasons?

No.  For reasons of quality.  Which does not mean that we should have no
electric pianos at venues which have no pianos, but are they preferable?
Because this is the real point of contention.

> And worst of all. Microphones for vocal amplification. Conclusion: if you
> don´t have the voice resources as Bessie, don´t enter the stage. Or shall
> we

This makes no sense at all in the context.  nobody (except for me, perhaps)
has so far objected to technology per se.  Actually, Bill, to whom Ulf's
comments are addressed, often posts links to You Tube recordings.  But it
has nothing to do with facebook!

> Facebook
> is a worldwide practical mean of gather and socialize people with a common
> interest. I have been on a number Facebook OKOM and music lists for several
> years now and never seen any major negative side's crop up on those lists.
> On the contrary. I have never got so much interesting informations in any
> other type of lists. This because of the existing facility to attaché video
> and sound informations, links etc.

Faith, I have never objected to YOUR use of Facebook, and neither has any
listmate, unless they have done so off-list.  All I have said is that I am
not going on facebook under any circumstances.  At least, not as matters
stand now.  You mey use it to your heart's content, but why all that
prozelytising?

> If you are worried that Facebook trace your behavior for commercial
> reasons.
> Then you better skip the Internet as a whole for good. Don´t use any credit
> cards. Don´t travel with flight tickets. Don´t subscribe to any magazines,
> newspapers or cable TV. Don´t make any phone calls. Be an eremite in the
> wilderness. We are monitored whatever we do today, and we can´t do anything

Again - sarcasm and riducule.  Why not go further and say "don't fly, don't
use cars and electriciy, but rather follow the example of the Amish"?

I could go on and, but I have already demostrated mych too much verbosity,
so I'll stop at that.

Cheers