[Dixielandjazz] DJML Facebook Page

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Thu Jan 23 22:17:53 PST 2014

I only ask because I have a Ruby banjo and later met the fellow who
made it; he told me he quit making banjos when he was asked to make a
solid body electric version.  He may have been exaggerating.

I do recall the shock and horror caused when I asked to have a contact
mic installed in my Appalacian dulcimer, and at the time I learned of
a S.F. company who made fibreglass dulcimers with detachable necks so
you could keep several alternate tunings ready on stage, swapping them
in with an easy clip and release. One cannot stop the march of
innovation ;)

On 1/23/14, Tony Orr <jsbarque at netscape.net> wrote:
> [...]
> The upside is that a banjo player can amplify to a much higher sound
> level and, run all sorts of digital effects etc. not possible with an
> acoustic banjo. The feeling of power is amazing.
> The downside is it doesn't sound like an acoustic banjo. Best to use a
> good mic or acoustic pickup on the old Vega.
> I would use the Fender Strat and modern amp to muck around with
> electronics or digital processing. More versatile with 6 strings than 4.
> If guitar is required for jazz gigs I use a 6-string acoustic jazz
> guitar from 1949. Once again to get the right sound for the style of music.
>
> I have over 1TB of music files. Many have been compressed and digitally
> processed to the point that sound quality is audibly degraded when
> compared with a clean copy of the original recording. The convenience of
> modern technology comes with a downside.
>
> cheers
>
> Tony Orr
> Fosters Foaming Five
> Melbourne
>

> On 24/01/2014 12:57 PM, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
>> ever play one of those solid-body electric banjos? ;)
>>

>> On 1/23/14, Ulf Jagfors <ulf.jagfors at telia.com> wrote:
>>> Great Bill
>>>
>>> But you will probably not convince members of the 78 rpm scratch, click
>>> and
>>> hiss noise fan club. As an example of what new technology can do. I have
>>> about 15.000 OKOM recordings from 1917-1935 with mostly better quality
>>> in
>>> my
>>> smart phone. But that will not convince them either. I do not need a
>>> crank
>>> up Vitrola disc player in my backseat of my car or in my summer vacation
>>> resort house. I carry all recordings with me in my pocket. Handy? Of
>>> course
>>> it is extremely handy and versatile if you really are interested in
>>> listening to and search for music on the spot. Not to talk about all old
>>> recordings and bands I recently have discovered by this new technology.
>>> did not had a clue about them before in spite of the fact that I have
>>> listen
>>> to OKOM music since around 1950.
>>>
>>> How about electric pianos, very common for practical reasons, as many
>>> concert facilities today lack an old fashion piano. Shall we abound OKOM
>>> electric piano playing for sentimental or fear of new technology
>>> reasons?
>>> And worst of all. Microphones for vocal amplification. Conclusion: if
>>> you
>>> don´t have the voice resources as Bessie, don´t enter the stage. Or
>>> shall
>>> we
>>>
>>> Facebook has it pros and cons. Why don´t skip to worry about the bad
>>> sides
>>> (they are there indeed and I hate them) and embrace the good sides.
>>> Facebook
>>> is a worldwide practical mean of gather and socialize people with a
>>> interest. I have been on a number Facebook OKOM and music lists for
>>> several
>>> years now and never seen any major negative side's crop up on those
>>> lists.
>>> On the contrary. I have never got so much interesting informations in
>>> any
>>> other type of lists. This because of the existing facility to attaché
>>> video
>>> and sound informations, links etc.
>>>
>>> If you are worried that Facebook trace your behavior for commercial
>>> reasons.
>>> Then you better skip the Internet as a whole for good. Don´t use any
>>> credit
>>> cards. Don´t travel with flight tickets. Don´t subscribe to any
>>> magazines,
>>> newspapers or cable TV. Don´t make any phone calls. Be an eremite in the
>>> wilderness. We are monitored whatever we do today, and we can´t do
>>> anything
>>> about it. Facebook or not does not make any difference at all. Big
>>> commercial Brother see you anyhow. Yes, they can because Yes, they scan.
>>>
>>> Sorry, sorry, sorry for offending some people on this list but, without
>>> accepting technical progress we will definitely bury the OKOM music for
>>> good, sooner or later. Facebook with all its shortcomings is one
>>> possible
>>> way today to achieve this goal, to let OKOM stay alive. And it could be
>>> one
>>> gate way to the next generation. Within a few years Facebook will be
>>> gone
>>> and forgotten like Myspace etc. But use its positive side today and
>>> neglect
>>> what could come in the future.
>>>
>>> Yes, I confess (as the tune I sometimes play). I am a retired electronic
>>> engineer. A technical nerd. But also, all type of banjo player. And
>>> banjo
>>> historian and collector. And traditional African music research
>>> traveler.
>>> And frequent player of live OKOM music.
>>>
>>> Ulf in Stockholm

>>> for what happens here AND it eliminates all of the quirks that exist in

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*