[Dixielandjazz] DJML Facebook Page

Tony Orr jsbarque at netscape.net
Thu Jan 23 17:27:40 PST 2014

I think this list serves a purpose Facebook is unsuitable for. Being
text only it enables anything from short messages or notices to detailed
discussion and threads. The DJML does enable links in messages to other
sites such as Youtube and band websites. I hope the DJML continues
either as a mailing list or in the form something like Scott Anthony is
proposing. The membership of the list has been built up over a long time
since Peter Lovrik started it. Whilst not exclusive, it is made up of
people who understand and appreciate OKOM, and it is not likely to
attract hordes of people who don't. There have always been plenty of
other forums for discussing and/or promoting other forms of music.

I have been on Facebook for years and, MySpace before that. FB is
addictive, time wasting and cluttered with visuals and advertising. It
is not as good a medium for discussion as the DJML still is. Facebook
may be in decline as indicated by the number of savvy younger people
abandoning it for other social networking tools.
It may well be that Email sites such as the DJML may outlive the
Facebook fad.

kindest regards
Tony Orr
Wombat Jazz Band