[Dixielandjazz] DJML Facebook Page

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Thu Jan 23 17:23:58 PST 2014

Great Bill

But you will probably not convince members of the 78 rpm scratch, click and
hiss noise fan club. As an example of what new technology can do. I have
about 15.000 OKOM recordings from 1917-1935 with mostly better quality in my
smart phone. But that will not convince them either. I do not need a crank
up Vitrola disc player in my backseat of my car or in my summer vacation
resort house. I carry all recordings with me in my pocket. Handy? Of course
it is extremely handy and versatile if you really are interested in
listening to and search for music on the spot. Not to talk about all old
recordings and bands I recently have discovered by this new technology. I
did not had a clue about them before in spite of the fact that I have listen
to OKOM music since around 1950.

How about electric pianos, very common for practical reasons, as many
concert facilities today lack an old fashion piano. Shall we abound OKOM
electric piano playing for sentimental or fear of new technology reasons?
And worst of all. Microphones for vocal amplification. Conclusion: if you
don´t have the voice resources as Bessie, don´t enter the stage. Or shall we

Facebook has it pros and cons. Why don´t skip to worry about the bad sides
(they are there indeed and I hate them) and embrace the good sides. Facebook
is a worldwide practical mean of gather and socialize people with a common
interest. I have been on a number Facebook OKOM and music lists for several
years now and never seen any major negative side's crop up on those lists.
On the contrary. I have never got so much interesting informations in any
other type of lists. This because of the existing facility to attaché video
and sound informations, links etc.

If you are worried that Facebook trace your behavior for commercial reasons.
Then you better skip the Internet as a whole for good. Don´t use any credit
cards. Don´t travel with flight tickets. Don´t subscribe to any magazines,
newspapers or cable TV. Don´t make any phone calls. Be an eremite in the
wilderness. We are monitored whatever we do today, and we can´t do anything
about it. Facebook or not does not make any difference at all. Big
commercial Brother see you anyhow. Yes, they can because Yes, they scan.

Sorry, sorry, sorry for offending some people on this list but, without
accepting technical progress we will definitely bury the OKOM music for
good, sooner or later. Facebook with all its shortcomings is one possible
way today to achieve this goal, to let OKOM stay alive. And it could be one
gate way to the next generation. Within a few years Facebook will be gone
and forgotten like Myspace etc. But use its positive side today and neglect
what could come in the future.

Yes, I confess (as the tune I sometimes play). I am a retired electronic
engineer. A technical nerd. But also, all type of banjo player. And banjo
historian and collector. And traditional African music research traveler.
And frequent player of live OKOM music.

Ulf in Stockholm