[Dixielandjazz] Body and Soul history----update

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 12:40:40 PST 2014

For those interested in "Body and Soul" discussion.  I found the
web site for Chris Tyle, a well known source of jazz information.
Here is his reply as to the key of Db being "standard".
-------And thanks to Chris for taking the time to reply---and also
 for his efforts to keep the music alive and well.

Hi, Ken,
I don't have a copy of the stock arrangement, but I'm guessing, based on
the Fred Rich recording from 1930 - that the stock is in Db. This recording
on youtube, of the Rich group, is pitched in "D", so I'm assuming it is
running fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIKmPOvfYik. Leo Reisman's
recording ends up in Db, and Jack Hylton's is in Db.

Standard-issue piano music would likely never be in Db, as it was always
geared to the home pianist, so the published "vocal edition" would be in
easy piano keys, hence "C" for Body and Soul.

You're welcome to post my comments on the DJML if you like.

Cheers,
Chris