[Dixielandjazz] GNP Crescendo - Variety, January 8, 2014

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Mon Jan 13 09:15:32 PST 2014

Thanks, Bill, for the pointer to Hamp's "Star Dust" on YouTube. If you're
not familiar with it, pick a moment when you can listen to all 15 minutes
without any distraction. Headphones recommended.

I'm happy that there are others who have put Hamp and the All-Stars version
of Stardust as the embodiment of what jazz is all about.

Yet, today, in my mind, Slam Stewart quotes too pop songs and detracts from
the feeling of jazz. I used to snicker at Charlie Shavers for the sound he
gets when his solo takes him into his trumpet's low register - today, I
appreciate what he's doing. Lastly, as Hamp's solo winds down, I've always
heard and admired his transition to "The Man I Love" and return to
"Stardust".

What are your thoughts?

Stan