[Dixielandjazz] To All DJML Members

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Fri Jan 10 08:03:05 PST 2014

Ron L'Herault wrote:

> Yahoogroups can work as a mailing list and/or a web
> based reader.   I'm on a few of those and they work OK.

I'm on nearly a hundred of them, and I own and operate about ten of them.

Others here have expressed concern about security with Yahoo Groups, but
I've been on Yahoo Groups since it was "OneList" (which was acquired by
Yahoo around the year 1999 or 2000). At one time or another I've belonged to
about 150 Yahoo Groups. The Groups I own have ranged from an handful of
members to a high of more than 5,600 members. We have had no serious
security issues. If the Yahoo Group owner (and moderator or moderators) set
up the group properly, to keep spammers out, they run very smoothly. Yahoo
security issues occur when the Group owner and/or moderator(s) aren't
willing to put forth the effort to run the Group properly.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers