[Dixielandjazz] FW: To All DJML Members

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Fri Jan 10 08:00:16 PST 2014

Ulf has a good point about split audiences, and something else to consider,
when something is posted to a yahoogroup *everyone* gets it, whereas when
something is posted to a FB group, only 20% of the subscribers get it,
unless you pay for the premium service.  Even of those 20%, if they don't
check their 'wall' every time there's an update, things get pushed to the
bottom of the pile and missed.

With all of the yahoogroups that I am on, some are closed such that there
is no public searching of the archives (and the archives are smart about
hiding email addresses against spam harvesters) others are open to Google
searches (still hiding emails) and once I'm subscribed to a list, I need
not ever go to the web-based page again.

For administrators, I also find the yahoogroups to be about the same as
mailman for bother; if a post is made by a non-member it can be set to be
auto-rejected or sent to the moderator for approval (which in modern times
is a bad idea) and any approvals can be made either through the web
interface or through email.

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*