[Dixielandjazz] To All DJML Members

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 9 21:10:36 PST 2014

Dear Tony and all List Mates,

I have been here for many years so despite not posting often I am well versed in the history and current state of the DJML.  I agree with those of you who are opposed to a move to Facebook in place of the email list.  I understand that some list mates have their personal reservations about Facebook.  What I am in favor of is the addition of a DJML Facebook page in ADDITION TO and to supplement the email list.

Just from my own Facebook Friend list I can tell you that the jazz musicians listed below are already active participants on Facebook, using it to connect with other musicians and fans:

Vince Giordano
Jon-Erik Kellso
Bria Skonberg
Scott Black
Judi K
Yves Francois
Bob Adams
Tony Pringle
Chuck Slate
Jim O'Briant
Tom Sancton
Bill Bissonette
Allen Lowe
Eli Newberger
Josh Duffee
Junichi Kawai
Norbert Susemihl
Marilyn Keller
Molly Ryan
Harry Skoler
Allan Vache
Barbara Rosene
Christopher Tyle
Tom Wiggins
Bob Leary
Hans Eekhof
Don Vappie
Yoshio Toyama
Gunhild Carling
Craig Ventresco
Tex Brashear
Jane Campedelli
Bob Schulz
Matt Munisteri
Ed Wise
George Phillips
Andy Schumm
Steve Yocum
Ron L'Herault
Kaye Wade
David Sager
Steve Barbone
Bill Sargent
Bill Dendle
Emily Asher
John Petters
Jason Jurzak
Rebecca Parris
Sean Moyses
Bob Williams
Bert Barr
Michael Pittsley
Jerry Krahn
Tim Metz
Barry Wratten
Richard Broadie
Bert Brandsma
Cynthia Sayer
John Landry
Dan Levinson
John Cocuzzi
Corey Gemme
Bill Allred
Anders Wasen
Dan Barrett
Kjeld Brandt Jakobsen
Terry Waldo
Jonas Winding
Jack Sheldon
Ate Van Delden
Ingemar Wagerman
Ev Farey
Jack Pavuk
Chris Clifton
Carl Sonny Leyland
Jim Cullum
Marlene VerPlanck
Peter Ecklund
Gary Kiser
Eddie Metz
Jens Jesse Lindgren
Greg Englert
Flip Oakes
Joe Hopkins
Ken Peplowski
Chloe Feoranzo
Lars Tidholm
Don Mopsick
Bud Taylor
Maria Muldaur
Becky Kilgore
Jan Vollenbronk
George Gee
Ralf Reynolds
Steve Tuba Hoog
Miyoko Onishi Yamashiro
Nicholas Payton
Gregory Stafford
Michael Casimir
Banu Gibson
Mike Vax
Stephanie Trick
Paul Keller
Matt Tolentino
Scott Anthony
Sean Jones
Orange Kellin
Tamas Ittzes
Elazar Brandt
Nicki Parrott
Brandon Au
John Allred
Claire Piersol
Katie Cavera
Jonathan Russell
Randy Sandke
Dave Bock
Clint Baker
Bob Erwig
Aaron Weinstein
Geoff Power
Jack Convery
Delfeayo Marsalis
Paul Ingle
Jim Fryer
J. Walter Hawkes
Krikor Turutyan
Paul John Monat
John Stutler
Michael Supnick
Renee Grant Patrick
Bob Sakoi
Kevin Mahogany
Scott Whitfield
Harry Allen
George Washingmachine
Danforth W. Comins
Paul Asaro
John Gill
Robert Draga
Ross Anderson
Fred Vigorito
Dave Ruffner
Tom Peckham
Stephen Heist
Chris Barber
Fred Mickey Finn
Brooks Tegler
Frank Vignola
Mick Lewis
Brian Towers
Byron Stripling
Evan Christopher
John Pizzarelli
Donald Neely
Buddy Apfel
Lew Green
Lino Patruno
Craig Johnson
Connie Jones
Jim Maihack
Acker Bilk
Leroy Jones
Andrew Sherwood
Ian Whitcomb
Matthias Seuffert
Jean Pierre Alessi
Marty Grosz
Mike Marois
Tiago San Ro

This list of jazz musicians on Facebook is not comprehensive.  It's just the ones I could draw from my friends' list.  Most of you should be familiar with most of the names on this list.  They are not all young people.

As I compiled this list I noticed many names that used to contribute to the DJML but that I have not seen there for a long time.  Not all of these jazz musicians are especially active on Facebook but they are there nonetheless.  Whether they post anything themselves or not they can still see what their friends might post, and for some that is reason enough to be registered.

For those who don't understand what Facebook is or how it works, this is it in a nutshell.  If you were to register, you could then send friend requests to anyone that you wanted to follow.  For example, let's say you sent friend requests to any number of the musicians in the list above.  Each time you logged in you would be taken to your News Feed which would contain anything recently posted by any of your Facebook friends.  Nothing else.  Your friends would be able to see on their News Feeds anything that you might have posted recently.  When you register you make decisions about who will be able to see your postings.

I think the DJML should continue as it is now, perhaps as a Yahoo group, but that a DJML Group, a closed group, should be established on Facebook in addition to the email list. Both the DJML email list and the Facebook group page can complement each other.  After all, isn't the whole idea to share ideas about OKOM and to interact with others who play and/or love the music?

Roger Wade
Really Old REcords