[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Community Station WWOZ will launch second channel featuring all New Orleans Music on April 1

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Thu Feb 20 14:49:55 PST 2014

To: Musicians and Jazzfans list;  DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

This from Times-Picayune website.  FYI.  WWOZ is accessible by internet
streaming.

Personal note-computer virus scrambled my address book, especially my
outside-USA addresses.  If you were on Musicians and Jazzfans list and
didn't get e-mail from that list, then send me a note and I'll remedy the
situation. Invitation to join the list-we discuss some broader issues than
early jazz.  It's easy to get on or off, just ask.

Thanks.

 <http://www.nola.com/> Nola.com

Greater New Orleans

Greater New Orleans
<http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2014/02/wwoz_radio_to_launch_second_ch.
html> Set your local edition to Baton Rouge

<http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2014/02/wwoz_radio_to_launch_second_ch.
html#comments> 3

comments

WWOZ radio to launch second channel, featuring all New Orleans music, April
1

WWOZ birthday new orleans.JPG

WWOZ DJ Brown Sugar and Dwayne Breashears. (Courtesy of Al Kennedy)

<http://blog.nola.com/entertainment_impact_music/print.html?entry=/2014/02/w
woz_radio_to_launch_second_ch.html> Print

 <http://connect.nola.com/user/afenster/index.html> Alison Fensterstock,
NOLA.com | The Times-PicayuneBy
<http://connect.nola.com/user/afenster/posts.html> Alison Fensterstock,
NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
 <http://www.twitter.com/AlisonF_NOLA> Follow on Twitter
on February 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM, updated February 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM

<http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nola.com%2
Fmusic%2Findex.ssf%2F2014%2F02%2Fwwoz_radio_to_launch_second_ch.html&media=h
ttp%3A%2F%2Fmedia.nola.com%2Fentertainment_impact_music%2Fphoto%2F9094931-th
umb_square_large.jpg&guid=paRjaBU2XPVi-0&description=WWOZ-2%20will%20be%20av
ailable%20for%20HD2%20radios%20and%20streaming%20online%20at%20wwoz.org.> 0

MUSIC NEWS

.
<http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2014/02/wwoz_radio_to_launch_second_ch.
html> WWOZ radio to launch second channel, featuring all New Orleans music,
April 1

.
<http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2014/02/bonnaroo_announces_2014_lineup.
html> Bonnaroo announces 2014 lineup, searches for funkiest dancer

.
<http://blog.nola.com/living/2014/02/venerable_waterfront_bar_and_m.html>
Venerable St. Tammany Parish waterfront bar and music venue rises from
Hurricane Isaac devastation

.
<http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2014/02/instant_karmas_gonna_get_your.h
tml> 'Instant Karma''s gonna get your midday music break

.
<http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2014/02/what_songs_will_you_hear_re
pea.html> Overplayed! -- What will you hear (repeatedly) this year along the
Mardi Gras 2014 parade routes?

 <http://topics.nola.com/tag/music/posts.html> All Stories |
<http://topics.nola.com/tag/music/photos.html> All Photos |
<http://topics.nola.com/tag/music/videos.html> All Videos

WWOZ, New Orleans' award-winning community radio station, plans to launch a
second channel of music this spring, just in time for the music festival
season. WWOZ-2 will exist, essentially, as a parallel universe to the
33-year-old station's regular programming, which airs around the clock
terrestrially at 90.7 FM and streaming online at <http://www.wwoz.org/>
wwoz.org.

The current plan for WWOZ-2's format, said the station's longtime program
director Dwayne Brashears, is 100 percent New Orleans music, but with a
contemporary twist. Along with the traditional and contemporary jazz, funk,
roots and R&B shows that currently air on the station, WWOZ-2 will include
homegrown sounds in other musical styles.

"We hope to give attention to some genres not currently getting play:
hip-hop, bounce, rock n'roll, which are all important music," he said.
"We'll give them some love." WWOZ-2 will sound, he said, "the way OZ would
have if it was founded in 2014."

The FM broadcast, accessible in the New Orleans area, will remain the same.
WWOZ-2 will be available at  <http://wwoz.org/> wwoz.org through a second
online stream, as well as via HD2 radios.

The goal is to eventually offer a 24/7 stream of live DJs, spinning from a
second control room at the station's French Quarter studio. However,
Brashears pointed out, that could take a while - some slots in WWOZ's
current on-air schedule, particularly very late at night and early in the
morning, are still filled by programs of music pre-recorded by 'OZ show
hosts, a practice that began in
<http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2010/12/wwoz_radio_marks_30_years_on_t.
html> the months after Hurricane Katrina when the station was briefly
without a brick-and-mortar home and many regular DJs were scattered around
the country.

In preparation, the station is training new show hosts and reaching out to
current regular and substitute DJs (of which, full disclosure, I am one) for
new programming ideas. The scheduled launch date for WWOZ-2 is April 1,
2014.