[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz (British) and the piano

tonypringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Thu Feb 20 15:02:52 PST 2014

Hello Listmates,

When I was playing in England in the late 50s with my own band we
generally played in jazz clubs in pubs. If these places had a piano it
was generally only good for firewood or a conversation piece and so we
played with just 6 pieces. My last band in Leicester we used a pianist,
but some gigs were impossible. It seems things are better now.

BTW - Colyers next two bands - with Ed O'Donnell and Acker Bilk then Mac
Duncan and Ian WHeeler were usually 6 piece bands, though he eventually
added Ray Foxley on piano to the Duncan/Wheeler band and very nice too.

Cheers,

Tony Pringle