[Dixielandjazz] Bilkissimo

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 23 13:47:49 PST 2014

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:
> An amazing performance I haven't heard in years I first heard long ago when it was new...from the Stan Tracey big band Ellington recording an item impressive by any standards with Acker Bilk blowing the roof off. Anybody got an mp3? Sshhhh....

Dear Robert,
This one?

We Love You Madly: Stan Tracey Big Brass.  Columbia (E)SX6320, SCX6320
Derek Watkins, Paul Tongay, Kenny Baker, Eddie Blair, Les Condon (tp) Ian Carr (flhrn-1) Keith Christie, Don Lusher, Chris Pyne, Chris Smith, Bobby Lamb (tb) Acker Bilk (cl-2) Joe Harriott (as-3) Don Rendell (sop-4,ts-5) Tony Coe (ts-6) Stan Tracey (p,arr,cond) Lennie Bush (b) Barry Morgan (d).
London, August 20 & 21, 1968
    Blues with a feeling (1,2,3,5,6)
    I let a song go out of my heart
    Passion flower (4,*)
    Lay-by (1,2,3,5,6)
    I'm beginning to see the light (1)
    In a sentimental mood (3,*)
    Creole love call (2)
    We love you madly
All above titles also on Philips (Du) 849105BY.
All titles, except (*), also on Lake (E)LACD218 [CD].

I can recall being played "Creole Love Call", as a curiosity, back in the 70s.
"Our Acker with a big band!"
You will note that Lake have reissued in on CD.
Very kind regards,
Bill.