[Dixielandjazz] Repertoire

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 14:14:48 PST 2014

I am on the subject yet again.
At my last jazz evening I played a 1979 record by the Leningrad Dixieland
Band (in later years that band played in Sactramento).  The entire first
side was Russian songs, and, had I not known it, I'd have never guessed
(except for one song I had known as a kid in Poland).  Hot, swinging
Dixieland!

Sure, some bands can make the most overridden warhorse come back to life,
but how many?  I mean, sound not only convincing but fresh and almost new!
Over the last few days I have been listening to the Swedish Kenneth
Arnstrom with the Thomas Orenberg Blue Five, and they played "Somebody
Stole My Gal," "Ain't Gonna Give Nobody..." and "Baby, won't you
Pllease..." in such an imaginative way as to make them come alive and
kicking!  I do not know whether it is the arrangements or the improvising
skills of the musicians involved, but the band really jells.
Cheers