[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland v. Trad Jazz

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sat Feb 8 06:37:36 PST 2014

Bob Brodsky wrote:

> I thought that I had made the difference pretty clear
> in my book, "The World in a Jug" (amazon.com/books
> or Kindle). Dixieland = 2 beat; N.O. or Trad = 4 beat.
> That's the simplest difference. ...

There are a lot of performing musicians and band leaders who wouldn't accept
that definition. In nearly every band I've played with (I play tuba), the
leader has called the band a "Traditional Jazz" band -- and has insisted on
2-beat bass. And as others have pointed out, Louis Armstrong always said he
played Dixieland, but an awful lot of his bands had a string bass player who
played 4-beat all the time.

> The subtle difference in my mind is that Dixieland is fun,
> rollicking music, while trad is more serious and mental.

I agree with the connotation of "Dixieland = Fun," bringing up visions of
striped vests, straw "skimmer" hats, and in the USA, pizza parlors and beer
and sing-alongs. I disagree with your assertion that "Traditional Jazz" is
"serious and mental" rather than "fun."

Perhaps not everyone has read your book, and perhaps some who have may not
accept every word as gospel.

When people ask me the difference, I just say that they're basically two
names for the same general style of music -- pre-big-band-era jazz, played
by small bands of about 5 - 9 musicians. If they want more, I add that
"Dixieland" has that "fun" and "light-hearted" connotation that we agree on,
but that it's a word that has slipped out of favor in more recent years, and
that "Traditional Jazz" is the current term of choice for many.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers