[Dixielandjazz] Second Verse and Chorus for "Ace in the Hole" has been found!

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 6 12:07:18 PST 2014

> Roy Taylor just sent me a PDF of the Fats Waller version from 1934. I don't think there is a recorded version available, at least I have not found one yet.  The tune is about the same, just the lyrics have been changed.

> I can send the PDF to whoever wants it .

Dear Dave,
Yes please.
I have been intrigued by that one after coming across it some years ago.
And amazed that this rarity seems to have finally surfaced:

"Ace in the hole; w Bartley Costello and Frank Crumit, m arr. Thomas Waller; with arr. for ukulele, etc. © Jan. 24, 1934; E pub. 40171; F. B. Haviland pub. co."

Apart from the familiar 1909 (Mitchell–Dempsey) version and the 1926 (Elmer Schoebel–Louis Panico) "Ace In The Hole", listmate Dick Baker also located one from 1929 by Everett J. Buckley & Walter Hirsch, arr. Tiny Parham, pub. by Melrose and another by Cole Porter composed in 1936.
Very kind regards,
Bill.