[Dixielandjazz] Second Verse and Chorus for "Ace in the Hole" has been found!

domitype . domitype at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 21:53:25 PST 2014

Bill and all,

Roy Taylor just sent me a PDF of the Fats Waller version from 1934.

I don't think there is a recorded version available, at least I have not
found one yet.

The tune is about the same, just the lyrics have been changed.

can send the PDF to whoever wants it
.

Dave Richoux

Intro 1
Some folks that you meet,
In any old street,
Make you feel your lot in life is tough;
You envy their style,
And confident smile,
But they're only living on a bluff.

Refrain 1
Some of them have information to sell,
That's their old ace in the hole;
Dear little secrets, they're paid not to tell,
That's their old ace in the hole.
The Sweet sugar daddies,
they'll squeeze till they squeal,
and always collect their full toll.
And they know that dear wife-y
will pay, if he don't,
That's their little old ace in the hole.

Intro 2
You drift here and there,
Most any old where,
It's the same thing over ev'ry time;
The millionaire strut is just "nothing but,"
But they're wishing they had one lone dime.

Refrain 2
Some of them come and sell titles for "dough,"
That's their old ace in the hole;
Bally old castles, at home, don't you know,
That's their old ace in the hole.
Of course, it's not mon-ey
they're after; oh, no!
It's love, nothing else,
bless your soul!
But they all get their checks
or no wedding bells ring,
Can't you see that's their ace in the hole?

Refrain 3
Some of them just make the dice carry on,
That's their old ace in the hole;
Some carry guns, when the daylight is gone,
That's their old ace in the hole.
They're experts in grafting,
that's how they get by,
No matter how they get their roll.