[Dixielandjazz] FW: was LP or CD?, now FX

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Dec 30 08:58:41 PST 2014

Charlie wrote:
>...one submitted album had night club background noise dubbed in. You could
tell because the sequence of background events was exactly the same on every
track. I guess they wanted the listener to think it was recorded live.

That's unforgiveable!  Not because of what they did, but how badly they did
it.  An effect should never even be noticed if it is done properly.

Going outside the jazz field, you will find effects being used throughout
movies, etc.
The door to the pub being constantly opened & closed in a sitcom will often
be an effect, actually synced with the door by a sound editor.  He will
choose the door sound & the level/eq, etc. so that it is never noticed, but
would be missed if it were not there.

Years ago I was at a special screening of Indiana Jones in NYC for only
sound engineers.  When Harrison Ford is hanging from a root in the ground,
about to fall into a pit, the root breaks away.  The noise of the root
coming out of the ground was multilayered sounds of different popping
effects including a champagne cork coming out & even a pop of someone's
finger in their cheek.  About 7 different sounds made up the final sound,
which we were able to listen to track by track. It was later practically
masked by the music in the soundrack & other noises.  Still, had it not been
there, it would have then been missed.

As in music, it is all down to good taste..... (& time, and money!)

Jim