[Dixielandjazz] LP or CD?

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Dec 29 06:41:05 PST 2014

This from another email list. But I am sure it is of interest to this list.
-Bob Ringwald

Recently, I read where Japan still has about eleven Tower Records locations and they
are doing well. Apparently, the Japanese still love the CD. To the best of my knowledge,
there are no Tower Records stores in the USA. On a recent visit to the Boston Back
Bay Newbury Comics I was shocked to see that about half or a third of the store's
primary inventory was vinyl LPs. And Barnes & Noble now has an LP section. The associate
I spoke with there said that they are selling a considerable amount of vinyl. I also
read somewhere recently that LP sales this year have had double digit increases from
previous recent years. I find this very surprising.
I was just wondering if there is a reliable catalog (softcover book or on-line listing)
for available CD and LP product. Fond memories of the Schwann Catalog come to my
mind. How strange to see new LP pressings of vintage albums in stores today. Does
this mean that there could be a possible revival of the long dormant Columbia and
Capitol Record Clubs (on-line, of course)? What a strange retail music situation.
Or have I just lived too long?

(snip)

-Bob Ringwald
Bob Ringwald Solo Piano, duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
Amateur (ham) Radio station K 6 Y B V

Why do they put pictures of criminals up in the Post Office? What are we supposed
to do, write to them? Why don't they just put their pictures on the postage stamps
so the mailmen can look for them while they deliver the mail?