[Dixielandjazz] Wynton Marsalis-Not quite OKOM

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 09:14:17 PST 2014

On 20 December 2014 at 19:03, Judy Eames <jude at judyeames.co.uk> wrote:

> On 20/12/14 16:03, Marek Boym wrote: Snips
>

>> What you re saying is that those who reject the so-called "modern jazz"
>> are
>> just tied in the boundaries of some concept or another.  In other words -
>> you disdain other peopes' ears!
>> I have had the misfortune to hear them all - Freddie Hubbard, John
>> Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter and even Courtney
>> Pine - and artillery shelling and air raids..  And have found the latter
>> as pleasant.
>>
> Trouble is Marek, that it seems to me  you also "disdain other people's
> ears".

No. But 'losen up" can only mean - try to listen to whatever it is.

> You and I for example have OKOM tastes that overlap but YKOM and MKOM
> aren't the same; we could discuss style for ever but calling people to
> account for mentioning music that you consider unworthy isn't in the spirit
> of this friendly and international list.

I didn't.  I just objected to the "loosening up" and "evolving" concepts.
Live and let live.

> Untalented players can be found in all jazz fields but associating Miles
> Davis, (at least in his early days) and Dave Brubeck with "chaff" leaves me
> bereft of speech; which is probably just as well :-)

Fine.  I still find their music boring.  Just like Elvis Presley's, which
has nothing to do with his talent or lack thereof (there must have been
somthing more to him than justa a fad - ages ago I heard girls the age of
my children discussing their collections of Elvis, which means that he has
passed the test of time0.

Cheers