[Dixielandjazz] Wynton Marsalis-Not quite OKOM

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 09:03:57 PST 2014

On 20/12/14 16:03, Marek Boym wrote: Snips

> What you re saying is that those who reject the so-called "modern jazz" are
> just tied in the boundaries of some concept or another.  In other words -
> you disdain other peopes' ears!
> I have had the misfortune to hear them all - Freddie Hubbard, John
> Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter and even Courtney
> Pine - and artillery shelling and air raids..  And have found the latter as pleasant.
Trouble is Marek, that it seems to me  you also "disdain other people's
ears". You and I for example have OKOM tastes that overlap but YKOM and
MKOM aren't the same; we could discuss style for ever but calling people
to account for mentioning music that you consider unworthy isn't in the
spirit of this friendly and international list. Untalented players can
be found in all jazz fields but associating Miles Davis, (at least in
his early days) and Dave Brubeck with "chaff" leaves me bereft of
speech; which is probably just as well :-)

Jude

www.judyeames.co.uk