[Dixielandjazz] In search of a non-tragic jazz hero

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 02:05:18 PST 2014

If I might make a suggestion:
Benny Carter seems to have been a very decent person and pretty succesfull swingband leader/arranger/player of woodwinds and brass.
- A great arrangement was his sax chorus on Charleston Is The Best dance After All, 1928
- Some of his compositions have easy melodies, When Lights Are Low, Blue In My Heart, so might be usefull in educational purposes.
- He was leading succesfull racially mixed bands in Europe allready in the mid thirties.  (Before Goodman did, who usually gets lots of credit)
- He reached a very high age. Always very much respected.
- Did not drink. Did not chase the girls.
I spoke to a old woman once, Mrs Muller. Her parents rented rooms in the Hague in the '30's. Benny Carter lived at their place, so the woman became friendly with him at the time. She assured me that Benny always was a perfect gentleman. Not drinking, not smoking and touring decently together with his wife. :-)
She also told me that Benny decided that since he was living in Holland, he needed a bike, and he took her to the shop to choose a good one. So she was very proud to have been sitting on the back of a bike brandnew owned by Benny Carter!
He also made some fantastic recordings with Coleman Hawkins and Django Reinhardt.
And later he also wrote music for films.

Just a thought,
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma