[Dixielandjazz] In search of a non-tragic jazz hero

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Tue Dec 9 19:00:09 PST 2014

Josephine Baker, now THERE was a true feminist, but I think the
schools may object to the banana skirt ;)  Lil Hardin featured
prominently in our Louis Armstrong show, especially the part where she
had the gumption to take on a cutting contest with Mr Jelly Roll
Morton (and lost, but graciously!)  We do make a point of underlining
the roles of women musicians because there is this nasty perception
out there among kids that "women don't play music" -- I personally
know a great many women who prove that false, and so it is important
to us that the girls at our shows don't go away thinking the best they
can be is a singer or a Lucille.  Valaida Snow is a good choice except
our only female trumpet (who's 13) good as she is, won't be up to the
task for a few years yet (although she is super keen and does both
have a decent instrument and dilligently applies herself to it)  Not
that we actually *play* the role of the character in our stories, just
that it would be nice if we talk about strong women in jazz, that we
have among us a strong jazz woman ;)

We'll get there :)

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*