[Dixielandjazz] Chris's friend / Paul Ferrara Profile on "Steppin' Out"-- New Orleans famous drummer dies

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Dec 5 11:49:39 PST 2014

Sorry to hear about Paul's passing. I was about three years older, but he and I and Reed Vaughan came up at the same time as teenage drummers in New Orleans. I first heard Paul around 1952 when I drove down to Buras with pianist/vocalist Theresa Kelly to listen to Murphy Campo's young band (with Pee Wee Spitelera, I believe, or Charlie May). Paul was a swing-oriented drummer, a musical extrovert with fine raw talent. Many agreed that he became the fastest drummer in town, after the style of Buddy Rich. Chops galore.

Anecdote. When I was a senior at Nicholls High and Paul was maybe a freshman at Easton, there was a "Battle of the Bands" during the halftime of a four-school faculty basketball game. The Easton group included Paul, a powerful trumpeter named Gerry Gerbrecht, trombonist/jazz wizard Larry Muhoberac, and clarinetist Eddie Winston. They had a big Dixieland sound a la Hirt's combo, and I thought they blew us and a straw-hat band from Fortier out of the room. We played a laid back traditional version of Tin Roof, double-timed after the clarinet solo, sparked by Oliver-influenced trumpeter Lawrence (Frosty) Francingues. (Theresa played the bass line on baritone horn. I loved that girl.) To my surprise, we took the trophy home. Afterwards we were personally congratulated by one of the judges--Johnny Wiggs--and I understood why we won. Wiggs knew that we were attentive to jazz roots.

I watched Paul's career with interest and admiration over the years. His looks really haven't changed--I could easily pick him out in a crowd. He kept his Irish Channel dialect too. Somehow it was almost identical with the Upper Ninth Ward "yat" dialect that I was brought up on. (As you see, it embraces ending sentences with prepositions.)

Charlie