[Dixielandjazz] Job offer

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 03:23:21 PDT 2014

This has been done to death here over the years.

My criterion were always simple. Is the caterer being paid?. Is the room
being supplied free? Is the sound equipment being supplied and operated
free? No. Well why should the band be expected to to play for nothing?.
Promises of exposure and the tremendous free advertising which would
doubtless accrue are rubbish.
A young relative of mine was telling me how succesful his band was.When I
asked what he charged he was flabbergasted. Oh we dont charge` he said. If
there is an established band at the gig they get paid. We go as support band
`for the exposure`. I told him he was nuts. My band had played for our beer
or food when we were scraping around but we NEVER played for nothing. I
pointed out my `charitable` criteria. As a result his band had a meeting and
changed their policy. They now get paid for all the gigs.

Pat