[Dixielandjazz] Job offer

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 28 12:58:20 PDT 2014

It is of course not job but Job, as in the Bible.  Suffering.

If God asks you to play, don't ask for money. Theologians will tell you that He can always go back to eavesdropping on Mozart.
If playing can't be construed as for God, or virtue rewarding itself, take care.

One of my literary friends was invited, along with media persons, to judge something or other, and thanked equally with those well-paid people for what had not been his free time. None of the others asked for travelling expenses, but none of the others needed the money or used public transport.

Let me state with utter clarity,

Don't give if it isn't a charity ...
ask first what sort of institution is offering work, so they know what you are: make sure to forestall the misapprehensions liable to embroil you in charges of being ungenerous --
if really concerned about this, somebody ought to work out a standard form of practice.

And sit it as a monitory (monetary) parrot on your shoulder.

My literary friend should have brandished the page with standard terms he could have used. I don't think the same system applies now.  Things get worse, and I like to reminisce,

Robert R. Calder